Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mrs. Hall VS. Ruth

During our last class we discussed Mrs. Hall, and why she does things to Ruth. During my readings I found a passage that caught my attention to Mrs. Hall and the reasons why she acts the way that she does. “I’m determined Ruth shan’t have them, if they fret me to fiddling-strings;” (1242 Ruth Hall). This is what Mrs. Hall tells Mr. Hall regarding Ruth’s children, due to this comment that Mrs. Hall has made I feel like she is doing things just to anger or to make Ruth miserable Mrs. Hall is willing to take both of Ruth’s little girls even if they make her crazy in turn. Another place where I saw that same train of thought was in the beginning of the book Where Mrs. Hall is interviewing Ruth about her attire. Mrs. Hall was being very condescending and very rude to Ruth while she asked her about her background, and her overall skills. One passage that I Remember was when Mrs. Hall spoke to Ruth about her choice of reading material ‘“I hope’, continued the old lady, ‘that you don’t read novels and such trash.’”(401 Ruth Hall). Here we also see the way that Mrs. Hall talks down to Ruth, and puts her decisions or beliefs down. In my opinion Mrs. Hall has had a game plan from day one to make Ruth’s stay at the home as unbearable as possible, and following the death of Ruth’s husband the “old lady” as Ruth calls her has decided to take the last remaining things she currently has that makes her feel good; Her only daughters. 

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you think. But after reading your "Mrs. Hall VS. Ruth" more than twice, because I felt....I was reading a Frank O’Hara’s poems. I have questions for you, because I am lost like a tourist in the urban area of the New York City.
    Why she does things to Ruth (?)
    “I’m determined Ruth shan’t have them, if they fret me to fiddling-strings;” (1242 Ruth Hall) why caught your attention (?)
    Has made I feel like she is doing things just to anger or to make Ruth miserable Mrs. Hall is willing to take (?) what you feel that?
    Another place where I saw that same train of thought was in the beginning of the book Where Mrs. (?) where you saw this train?
    MLA Style

    ReplyDelete